Colorado SKIES Academy is a unique learning environment for students with an emphasis on project-based, collaborative learning with hands-on applications. Everything is focused around aviation and aerospace and capitalizes on students’ creativity. Classrooms are student-focused rather than teacher-focused; thus, we call our teachers “facilitators” of learning. Students who are successful in this environment have the following skills and abilities:
- Think on their own – think independently.
- Ability to work independently.
- Social skills to work in groups.
- Ability to take turns in a variety of situations.
- Willingness to try new ideas or methods.
- Ability to work in a less structured classroom environment where inquiry is encouraged and there is less classroom lecture.
- Responsible for behavior – has impulse control.