Colorado Skies Academy (CSA) are authentically engaged and committed to the work of learning through the lens of aerospace and aviation.
Reports to – School Director / Governing Board
At Colorado SKIES Academy, we have we have built a model based on what we believe to be the best of all that is out there. We believe passionately in project-based learning because it goes to the heart of how students learn best.
Learners and facilitators at Colorado SKIES Academy (CSA) are authentically engaged and committed to the work of learning through the lens of aerospace. This focus serves to prepare learners for advanced education and careers in aerospace industries by providing a combination of high-quality STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts/Design, and Mathematics) through Project-Base Learning methodology. Aerospace-focused education is infused within each academic content area and becomes a natural component to much of what learners do.
We value and encourage leadership not just as a part of a career track but by instilling in each learner the confidence and character that inspires others.
Finally, we value the social and emotional development of our learners. We believe there is an implicit, as well as an explicit, curriculum to teach. Our goal is to nothing short of learning to change the world.
Reporting to the School Director, the Facilitator will organize and implement an established aerospace instructional program in a learning environment that guides and encourages learners to develop and fulfill their academic potential through Project-Based Learning. Most schools have a set curriculum that must be followed; however, at Colorado SKIES Academy, the Facilitator will have the unique opportunity to collaborate on the creation of projects and tailor curriculum to the needs of the learners.
A facilitator’s regular hours are Monday through Friday during school hours and on additional days and times as needed to participate in Colorado SKIES Academy functions. Professional development, and career learning opportunities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Teach academic subjects and other appropriate learning activities according to curriculum requirements, Colorado State Standards and the Colorado SKIES Academy charter and policies developed by the Governing Board.
- Effectively use a broad range of instructional strategies, including providing a constructivist curriculum, challenging goals and effective feedback, differentiated instruction and backward mapping, among others.
- Incorporate a focus in enriching the curriculum by implementing a plan of Project-Based Learning.
- Provide planned learning experiences in order to motivate learners and best utilize instructional time.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials and provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each learner, with a focus on STEAM and aerospace.
- Establish and maintain outstanding classroom management skills need to achieve a functional and supportive learning atmosphere.
- Evaluate learners’ academic and social growth, keep appropriate records, prepare Reports of Progress, and develop an Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) for each learner in collaboration with the learner and family member.
Identify learners’ needs and cooperate with other professional staff members in assessing and helping learners solve health, social emotional, and learning problems.
- Create a functional and attractive environment for learning through displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
- Maintain professional competence through participation in professional learning activities provided by the school and self-selected professional growth activities.
- Perform basic attendance accounting and business record keeping as required.
- Effectively use advanced technology as a learning tool; be able to integrate technology into teaching.
- Provide standards-based instruction; align curriculum and standards and adopt grading practices that can be used in standards-based and performance-based grading.
- Utilize appropriate assessment strategies and use the data collected to drive classroom instruction and ensure continuous improvement of learning.
- Provide ongoing support and actively collaborate with all Colorado SKIES Academy leaders and employees to ensure that the mission, vision, values and philosophy of Colorado SKIES Academy is clearly understood and carried out.
- Represent Colorado SKIES Academy in a positive and professional manner in all interactions and communications.
- Be involved with the Community Outreach efforts of the School.
- Be customer service centered.
- Follow and actively participate in the development of all Colorado SKIES Academy guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain professional competence through participation in professional learning activities provided by Colorado SKIES Academy and self-selected professional growth activities.
- Select curriculum support materials, instructional aids, and supplies.
- Administer group standardized tests in accordance with state and school site testing program.
- Sponsor learner activities and participate in school committees.
- Exhibit a willingness to work as a vital part of the Colorado SKIES Academy team to ensure continuous improvement for learners, staff and the Colorado SKIES Academy community as a whole.
- Demonstrate a love of learning, enthusiasm for teaching, the belief that each learner can and will succeed, and the willingness to do whatever it takes to make that happen.
- Work with, and communicate regularly with, families about classroom activities, learner progress, and curriculum.
- Demonstrate a belief in Colorado SKIES Academy’s mission that all learners will learn and successfully master the content and skills necessary for advanced secondary and post-secondary education.
- Other duties as defined by the School Director.
- Bachelor’s degree, including all courses needed to meet teaching credential requirements.
- Appropriate credential required for core subject positions.
- STEAM, aerospace, and aviation teaching and/or work experience encouraged.
- Experience with an educational setting and/or real-world experience in being non-traditional, flexible, open minded, and collaborative.
- Ability to problem solve and work on a variety of different projects.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
- Very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness.
- Thrive in a collaborative, team-based and fast-paced environment.
- Be passionate and supportive of CSA’s mission and vision, as well as have a strong desire to make a difference for the future of all of Colorado SKIES Academy.
Colorado Skies Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff.
Colorado SKIES Academy (CSA) promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. In doing so, CSA complies with local, state, and federal laws and regulations to ensure an equal employment opportunity for everyone. CSA doesn’t discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age disability, citizenship, military service obligation, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws. CSA’s policies and personnel practices are intended to ensure that all employees and applicants are treated equally with regard to recruiting, hiring, and advancement, and CSA’s decisions on employment are made to further the principle of equal employment opportunities for employees. – Updated April, 2020
To apply for this job email your details to recruitment@coloradoSKIESacademy.org