Hello, Colorado SKIES Academy Community,
What a wonderful opening to the 2020-2021 school year! It was so great to see everyone on Monday, both new and returning learners with their families! I must confess that I was more excited for Monday than Tuesday because it has been so long since we have seen one another in person.
As I write this Monday Message, the construction fencing is being removed around our new building and the construction trailer is being removed. JHL and the subcontractors are feverishly working on the finishes for the building, and it is absolutely beautiful! Our administrative team is working through the logistics that provide the most efficient, prudent, staggered flow between classes while also ensuring that learners remain with their cohort (grade level) and squadron. It won’t be long before we will be in the new building, walking through the logistics with learners, and seeing where we need to make adjustments.
Moving from online learning to in-person learning is exciting and also brings up some concerns. Concerns can be alleviated only with information, and we endeavor to provide you with as much information as possible. Some of the preventative measures CSA will be taking as learners join us in the new building are as follows:
- Learners’ parents/guardians will log into the COVID Safety Screener on their learner’s my.cherrycreek.org and input the information. This provides an all-clear for each learner and will be completed before entering the building.
- CSA staff will also log into the COVID Safety Screener daily to determine if they have an all-clear before entering the building.
- During drop-off and pick-up, the learners will maintain proper distance while entering the building.
- Passing periods will be staggered so that only one grade level cohort is in the hallways at any one time.
- Everyone will move throughout the building in a specific flow to minimize contact.
- Everyone will wear face masks. When needed, facilitators will wear a face shield so that language learners can lip read, which is an essential component of learning.
- As we gain more and more access to the new building, we are planning proper placement of classes and learners.
- We are working with our custodial service, Jan-Pro, in providing state-of-the-art cleaning products and methods. A video has been prepared to demonstrate what will be done between classes as well as throughout the day to maintain as clean an environment as possible. Please also look at some of the information that is posted on our website that will provide you with more information.
As we have been preparing for CSA’s in-person learning, I have come across a tremendous amount of information recommending what schools can do for their preparations. We have checked every decision with our school nurse and with the Colorado Department of Education/Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment publications that were issued on August 12. CSA is endeavoring to be responsible and reasonable in the safety protocols we have put in place so we meet the requirements while also maintaining the environment that makes CSA so unique.
So how soon will we be in our new building? JHL is doing an amazing job of staying on schedule! Thus far, it looks like we will get the keys to the front door on September 9, and then we will move in and welcome our learners on September 14. We’re getting closer!